At this D&AD awards, several agencies were awarded the Black Pencil awards. This is a big deal seeing as a Black Pencil is D& AD’s highest and most prestigious awards, it is also one of the most difficult advertising accolades to win. On this post, we would discuss the agencies who were bestowed this great honour.
About D &AD and the D& AD Black Pencil
D&AD Pencil was created to honour the very best in design and advertising and was founded in 1962. To win a Pencil is a great honour and can be considered a pinnacle of one’s careers. The D & AD Black Pencil is award to work that’s truly groundbreaking in the feild. It is the highest accolade that D& AD has to offer and it is only awarded to work that achieves true creative excellence.
In the 57-year history of D&AD, the award had only awarded 154 Black Pencils before this year’s awards. Some years no Black Pencils are not awarded. This showcases how rare and prestigious this award is in the marketing world. This year a total of six of these prestigious awards was given. This is one of the highest in the award’s history, with the record standing at seven in one year.
Black Pencil Award Winners
- US-based Droga5’s The Truth Is worth It campaign for The New York Times. This campaign was a big winner at the award. It took 3 Black pencils, one was for its creative agency Droga5 and the other for its production house Furlined. Apart from the most prestigious award at D &AD, they won seven Yellow Pencils (gold), four Graphite Pencils (silver) and three Wood Pencils (bronze).
- US-based Wieden + Kennedy’s Nike Dream Crazy campaign also won a Black Pencil. This critically acclaimed campaign has won several awards, at One Show it won 10 golds. At this year’s D& AD, it won three Yellow Pencils, one Graphite Pencil and one Wood Pencil.
- London-based AMV BBDO’s “Viva La Vulva” film for feminine care company Essity
- Australia’s BWM Dentsu for its “Project Revoice” campaign with The ALS Association.
- Microsoft’s Xbox Adaptive Controller, an accessibility project designed to meet the needs of gamers with limited mobility.
Big Winners at the D &AD this year:
These are the big winners at this year’s D& AD awards:
- Jones Knowles Ritchie, named Design Agency of the Year.
- Academy Films, named Production Company of the Year.
- Apple, named Client of the Year.
- Artist and stage designer Es Devlin, recipient of the President’s Award for creative excellence.
- Droga5, named Agency of the Year
At this year’s D &AD, the United States led the world in Pencils won, with 223. Britain came in second with 158 Pencils, while Germany was third with 40.