TikTok is the latest social media app that’s gaining a lot of traction. It is not just popular with users but a lot of brands are already partnering with the social network. Brands like NFL, Nike, Fenty etc are jumping on the TikTok train. There has to be a reason why all these brands are flocking to this social network. There has to be something this social media network has to offer. On this post, we are going to tell you all you need to know about the social network and why marketers need to care about it. First, let’s start by talking about what it is and how it works.
What is TikTok?
TikTok is a social media app created by a Chinese tech firm called ByteDance. The app describes itself as a destination for short-form mobile videos. The app allows you to record, edit, and share short, looping 15 or 60-second videos with musical overlays, sound effects, and visual effects. ByteDance acquired the app Musical.ly in 2017 and merged it with its new app, TikTok, in 2018. As of February 2019, the app exceeded one billion installs from the App Store and Google Play. More than half of these installs occurred in 2018.
What Can You do on the App?
Here are some of the main things you can do the app.
- The app can be used to create and watch videos.
- It has an extensive music library and is integrated integration with Apple Music. With the app, users can add, remix, save, and discover songs and sounds via playlists, videos, and more.
- Users can edit video with the app. It has an array of effects, effects like filters, time effects, split screens, transitions, stickers, GIFs, emoji, and other effects.
- Like any other social media platform, users can interact with other people. They can follow accounts, like, give hearts and comment on videos.
- TikTok offers in-app purchases of coins, which users can buy to give to creators.
- Some creators have the ability to Livestream.
Examples of How People Typically Use It
On the platform, you’ll regularly see hashtagged challenges. These videos will often encourage users to record themselves doing something odd to join in on the challenge.
The platform has a very popular collaborative feature that allows users to take another person’s video and add themselves to it. These videos typically play on a call-and-response format, with room for a partner inherently built into them.
Music Videos or Montages
On the platform, you’ll see a number of musical montages or mini music videos. Most of the time the users are lip-syncing to the video, other times user take a more creative approach.
The TikTok Algorithm
Unlike most social media platforms this social network revolves less around people you follow, and more around introducing users to new content. It shows users content it thinks they will like and makes adjustments based on their behaviour over time.
The parent company can be very guarded about its user data and statistics. But here’s what we know.
- It is very popular with Gen Z and teenagers. Users can be between 16 and 35 years old. If your consumer base is Gen Z or Millenials, then this is the social network for you.
- The app is very popular in China (where it originated from). It has over 500 million monthly active users from China alone. The app is available in 154 countries worldwide, with 40% of its users located outside China. If you are trying to break into the Chinese market, then this app is a great way to do that. It is also popular in India, Japan and the United States.
- The app appeals to both men and women but appeals more to women, with 60% of its users being women.
Why Marketers Need to Care About It
Even though the platform doesn’t have a feature for advertising or monetizing, there are still ways a brand can benefit from this platform. All it takes is some creativity to really catch the attention of the users on the platform. This platform can help you boost brand awareness and help encourage brand engagements. This platform is also great if your target audience is Gen Z.
Many brands are starting to see the potential this platform has to offer. Several brands have used techniques like TikTok challenges and contests to get users to generate brand-related content. The brands are also using hashtags.
An example of a brand that has used hashtags and challenges to get users to generate brand-related content is Guess. The brand used #InMyDenim campaign to get users to create video content wearing denim. They also used the hashtag, this campaign was very successful for the brand and the platform.